Just like human beings, dogs experience health problems too, and one of the major health challenges they experience is infections of their urinary system. This leads to such issues as bladder stones, incontinence, cancer, crystals in the urine, bacterial infections, obstruction of the urethra, among other issues.
Incontinence, the loss of bladder control, can be a result of illness, injury or age. With dogs some of the things you should expect if your dog has this condition includes wet carpets, sofas and beds and puddles on the floor. Not to mention it could possibly result in your dog suffering with bladder infections as well as possible sore or irritated skin which can also become infected.
Doggie Diapers For Incontinence
One of the remedies when addressing incontinence in dogs is the use of diapers, and the choice of the diaper to use depends on how severe the condition is. Other than diapers, you can opt for belly bands for male dogs, which are somewhat similar to diapers but work best for dogs with mild leakage or issues with marking.
Diapers come in two varieties, these are the washable and disposable. Washable doggie diapers come in various sizes, styles, and fabrics. It may take trying a few different brands to find one that fits your dog perfectly. The advantage of washable over the disposable is that they tend to be quieter and more comfortable; hence, your dog will be less interested in pulling the diaper off its body. They are also more environmentally friendly.
- It can be cleaned easily and reusable.
- Has an appealing design to fit appropriately and ensure reduced leakage.
- It has Velcro fastenings that can be adjusted and are secure.
- If you fail to use it with liners or pads, its absorption capabilities may be a disappointment.
If you take the disposable route buy the higher quality diapers. This will result in lasting longer and better protection against leaks.
- Simply throw away when changed out
- Can cost more over time.
- Produces more trash if you are environmentally conscious.
No matter what type of diaper you choose adding a woman’s sanitary pad, baby diaper or incontinence pad meant for people inside the diaper will increase leak protection. This will also help keep the skin dry to ensure that the acidic state of urine doesn’t cause irritation to your dog’s skin.
Belly Wraps For Marking And Incontinence
- They come in various sizes, designs and patterns.
- They are easy to put on and get off aided by Velcro fastening.
- Cleaning them is easy; they dry quickly and are durable.
- Some have an elastic design for a better fit and minimal leaks.
- Can be used with liners.
- They should be worn with a diaper or liner on the inside which is an added expense and causes trash.
Urine Clean-Up Products
Having a dog that suffers from incontinence or that continuously marks can be aggravating and messy. Cleaning will be a common and necessary activity. Using enzyme destroying cleaning products can help minimize marking and definitely helps with eliminating the odors caused by all the peeing and leaking. One of the best brands you can get for specialty cleaners designed for urine cleanup is Natures Miracle. They make products for hard surfaces including hard wood and for carpet and furniture cleanup as well.